Eddie and I talked about making the switch quite a while back, but I always came back to the same hurdles - 1.) the fact that his bedtime routine and, well, LIFE revolves around our room and 2.) due to our renovations, the other bedroom would put him right next to the only bathroom and laundry room we have....and my kid is the lightest sleeper you've ever met (trust me.) Once Eddie left on deployment, I found myself sleeping on the couch a lot. It seemed like the simple act of me coming into bed at night was disturbing and waking Julian, and if I so much as rolled over in bed, I could hear him shifting and sometimes he would even wake and need to be put back to sleep. I felt like a prisoner in my own bed. It was time for a change.
So...I came up with a simple solution. Julian would not have to move - we would. We would take his 'nursery' (that he's never spent one night in) and leave him the larger room that he has always known. What more do we really need other than a bed and dresser anyhow? If it means I can roll over and/or sneeze without repercussions, it's worth having a little less space.
As soon as Eddie came home we got to planning, and Wednesday we started swapping furniture - holy geez....I cannot begin to describe how much more complicated it is in reality than it was in my head! Not only did we have to switch furniture, but also the closets, and find places for furniture that now doesn't fit, and pack away clothes that now don't fit, and organize closets and the list goes on! We're not quite 100% finished, but we have officially made the split...and Julian is doing really great, actually. He still wakes up his once a night (or his new thing - waking way earlier than he should in the morning, which wasn't so much an issue when I was close by and could cuddle him in bed and get him back to sleep, but now in the 4 minutes it takes me to get to his room he somehow manifests like 2 cups of strong coffee and refuses to be put back to sleep.) But really, he's doing great. I think if anything, the adjustment has been a little harder on me than him. I wake up at least 5 times a night wondering exactly where I am and trying to figure out the noises of the house again now that I don't have 2 sound machines next to my head. Has it been worth it though? Yep! I love my baby and love having him near me, but it has been so long since I had any space to call my own. I got so excited about it, I even went out and bought new bedding for both rooms to celebrate. It's been a good thing. Our bedroom set was way outdated anyhow ;)
So there you go....my big boy is on his own. More evidence he is indeed growing up. If I manage to actually get the clutter situation under control in the near future, I might just have to post some pictures. We'll see!
No comments:
Post a Comment