Is this a PSA? Why, yes. Ladies (and gents?) I've had enough. Do you know how many times I have done photos of a newborn or toddler, and have had the parents refuse to be in ANY shots? I always tell them "these would be just for you...they don't need to be seen anywhere else." And still all I get are blatant refusals and excuses as to why there is no way in heck they will be getting in front of that camera. I guess I don't get it....sure, I have bad hair days too. I don't always feel like being seen or photographed, but by golly....Julian is going to one day grow up and wonder what the heck I was doing all the time. I'm NEVER in any pictures. Vacations, special moments, heck...even the day he was born I think my mug showed up in maybe 3 or 4? It's pathetic, and it's not because I refuse - it's because I have no choice. I am the one behind the lens. I do occasionally hand my camera off to my husband and pray that he gets something in focus, and sometimes he does an amazing job, but that still means that maybe once every 6 months I make an appearance in some sort of photo.
Take my advice...if someone is pointing a camera at you or your children and they ask if you'd like to be in the shot, say yes. Do it for your children if nothing else. Heck, you don't even ever have to look at the photo - file it away in an album somewhere. I guarantee your child will appreciate it more than you do at this moment.
So many women and mothers are ashamed of their bodies. I've been there too - trust me that I understand pregnancy weight gain! While pregnant with Julian I gained exactly 65 lbs, and honestly I hated how I looked. I didn't do maternity pictures - are you kidding me? And I REGRET it. Believe it or not, one of the first things that came to mind when I thought I may not be able to have more children was that there was such little proof I was ever pregnant with my first one - and what little existed was far from beautiful or artistic. Newborn photos? Of course not....what a hassle...do I regret that? YES. You know what I would give about a thousand dollars for? A shot of me holding my newborn son. Something frame-able....triple chins and all. I don't care. You can't get those moments back, ever. My baby is TWO and I have probably 20 pictures total of me with him during his entire lifespan. It's shameful.
So there is my PSA for the day....allow yourself to photographed, especially with your children. You deserve it and so do they.
The End.

No comments:
Post a Comment