While his 3rd birthday isn't OFFICIALLY until Monday, we spent a good portion of today celebrating, and I'm happy and relieved to report that this year's party was a success. Even I had fun! (I know that sounds bad, but honestly..planning and running parties is generally not that enjoyable.) After a really stressful week full of cleaning, preparing, baking and dealing with men in and out of my house at all hours (simmer down, they were working on the bathroom), it felt pretty nice to be on the receiving end of a water gun fight or two. It was hot (pretty sure it's always going to be hot in July!) and I was worried since we weren't able to secure the indoor/outdoor area we used last year...but there was enough water and breeze that it really wasn't terrible.
This birthday party also marked a first for me - my first cake (and perhaps my last!) I had my heart SET on a Larry the Cucumber cake months ago....only....I am a giant procrastinator. It turns out that one week's notice is NOT enough to have a custom cake make. When push came to shove...I went to hobby lobby, dropped a stupid amount of money, and came home with everything I needed to make my little boy smile. Amazingly, it was easier than I thought. I didn't exactly do the best frosting job, but literally had 10 minutes to slap that on there before Julian was going to be underfoot, and since I wanted it to be a surprise, we just got her done! We also added some Bob the Tomato cupcakes for good measure. I figured I had enough fondant to ice three cakes over, we might as well make use of it somehow!
Possibly more photos to come, possibly not....life is way crazy right now, but I had to at least get one shot up on the blog to commemorate my little boy turning 3! Eddie's Mom traveled in to stay with us this year and will be here through Wednesday, so it'll be nice to kick our feet up and just enjoy a little family time from here on out.

No comments:
Post a Comment