So here we are in August already. How can it be that summer is winding down to a close when it's still 100+ degrees every day? Julian has only now really begun to embrace the pool and all the fun it has to offer...and yet, our pool days are severely numbered. Why does the end of summer make me sad? And why does it have to go so quickly?
Julian officially starts preschool in a little over one month. It's only twice a week for a few hours...just enough to get his little feet wet and get him used to the idea of being in that setting. I'm excited, but sad at the same time. How could he be 3? And getting ready to go to school? Without me? I swear every day I look at him and think he looks older somehow. Every. Single. Day.
I read an article tonight stating that there are only 940 Saturdays from birth to 18 years of age. Amazing how that number seems suddenly small? It does. Especially when you take into account one Saturday a month without Daddy (at the LEAST...due to drill weekends and training), that brings the number down about another 300 that we can spend together as a family...and don't forget that once he turns 15 he'll want nothing to do with us anyhow, so that's another 200 or so from 15-18 that we can mark off the calendar. Does it make you sad to think about? It does me. Really sad. Time gets away from us so quickly. I'll admit, I have days I wish to end already because they're tough and they involve too little sleep and too much stress, but sometimes you have to sit back and realize that this day isn't going to happen again. We won't be 3 years old forever. Heck, he's already older than he was yesterday. Deep stuff. Sad stuff. I can remember the 15 months Eddie was overseas after we were married and how it passed slower than any other period of my life...and yet, it seems like yesterday we were married, and a blink of an eye ago that Julian came into the picture. My only solace is that for Julian, it will continue to take YEARS to get to Christmas, Summer vacation will seem like it lasts for half the year, and birthdays will make a whole MONTH exciting. At least for a little while.
Ahhhh. End of Summer. The things it does to my head. I'd like to take every piece of work I have on my to do list and postpone it until Winter so that I can enjoy the crap out of every minute. You know...when it cools off.
No comments:
Post a Comment