Friday, December 11, 2009

What a difference a year makes..

First, let me say that I should absolutely be sleeping right now. Matter of fact, the minute Julian falls asleep, my head should be hitting the pillow as it's only a matter of hours before he's up again, needing fed. And yet strangely, it is this fact that made me want to blog tonight.

It's amazing how much your life can change in one year.

This time last year I had only recently found out that I was pregnant. I was sick as a dog, I remember that much, and life seemed so uncertain, and yet exciting at the same time. Christmas was the day I chose to come out to the rest of our families about our good news. I remember waking up so nervous that day...wondering what everyone's reaction would be, nervous to tell everyone..knowing that nothing is certain.

Of course, you do realize your life will change...everyone tells you your life will change, but honestly? You don't have any idea just what that means until your life really does change.

This time last year I had a Christmas 'want' list much like those of years before - pajamas, clothes, perhaps some new fancy electronic something or another. I spent cold winter weekends languishing in bed until noon. I went to the mall...spent loads of time on gifts and tried (as I did every year) to be creative and surprise Eddie with what I got for him.

This year, my Christmas list is pretty short and mostly involves my desire for more sleep as well as a safe (and complete!) home for my child to grow up in. Sleeping in is a long-distant memory (heck, sleeping at ALL is a long-distant memory)...and shopping trips tend to be cut severely short by a crying, fussy baby who refuses to spend even five more minutes in that stinking carseat.

Yep...life sure does change on you! In just one year, Julian has gone from the size of a peanut to the squirmy, squealy, bubbly little baby that has become the love of my life...and I've added "Mommy" to my resume. That in itself has been the best gift of all.

1 comment:

Miriah said...

You are such a gifted writer! You made me puddle up : ) Thanks for including me in so many of your changes over the past year--it is a joy to get to know you!