Friday, May 14, 2010

Soaking it up

My child has become a human sponge of sorts. In one week he has mastered clapping, waving bye-bye and throwing a ball. On demand. You could have knocked me over with a feather the first time I said "clap, Julian!" and he clapped. It was pretty darn exciting. Up until now he's pretty much existed on the same level as the cats (ok, that sounded worse than I meant)...as in, we say things at him and hope for the best. But now it's official - he speaks our language. He gets it. He's learning! It's amazing. Makes me wonder just how long he's been able to recognize what we're saying to him...and why he seems to still be selectively deaf to the word "no" (I have a feeling that particular condition might just last well into adolescence.)

Now we spend our days making him do human tricks for anyone and everyone that will watch. Look what our baby can do! It's a little sad and desperate, but so much fun :) and of course we probably get way more of a kick out of it than anyone else, but hey...that's our kid. And he knows how to do stuff! It's freaking awesome.

On a side note, we're seeing signs that he might be left-handed as well. It wouldn't be the first on my side of the family (we have several), I just didn't figure we'd see him favoring one hand over the other so early. He definitely seems to be doing just that, however. At this time he can only point with the left hand, uses the left hand to "throw" a ball (even moving the ball from his right hand to his left hand before throwing it), and waves bye-bye 90% of the time with the same left hand. He also uses this left hand to do his evil bidding - ie: poking eyes, examining tonsils, torturing the cat, poking ants that happen to cross his path, and even exploring a nostril or two. He's not completely inept with the right hand, but it does definitely seem to be less coordinated at this point. I find it all very interesting! I guess only time will tell.

No comments: