Thursday, May 6, 2010

9 month stats

At Julian's appointment on Tuesday he measured 21 lbs 7 oz and 29 inches long with a head circumference that's in the 89th percentile (so THAT's why I can't get his shirts on..) I'm still debating the 29 inches. I think the nurse does a pretty shoddy job on the measurements. Both this appointment and last the doctor had to re-measure his head circumference due to the nurse's error...and both this month and last she barely even stretched out his leg while measuring his length. However, since I have yet to find my own reliable method of measuring his length, we will go with this number for now,but I'm going to guess that he's a bit more like 30 inches.

I also have an issue with these 'percentiles'. I'm a member of a birth board, and have seen monthly stats similar to Julian's with totally different percentiles than the ones I was given. I put absolutely no stock in them whatsoever now. I think his height and weight were both in the 60's this time around, which would mean that 40% of babies his age are bigger than him. I find that a little hard to believe. Not that he's massive or giant, but he's a good sized kid - and I don't see how a child wearing 18 months clothing at 9 months old is average. If it is, they need to re-evaluate what average means.

So, now that I've updated the masses and had my little rant...I must get back to the full time job of keeping Julian away from the cat. I don't believe I blogged about this last week, but our female cat has taken on the bad habit of scratching the baby. On his face, no less. I'm not going to lie and pretend that my child is friendly to the cats. He doesn't understand 'gentle' in the slightest. But his grabs and slaps come purely from a place of love (he is such a fan of cats, he even gets excited when he sees them in books!) Our giant bully of a male cat has learned very quickly that staying away from the baby is in his best interest. And so when the the midget comes straight for him, he takes off. He has yet to scratch or maim the child in any way, and this is a big deal as he's pretty much scratched and maimed the rest of the civilized world (or at least the ones that make the bad habit of coming into our house). Our female cat, on the other hand, has never harmed a fly. I think we've heard her hiss maybe 4 times in the 6 (7?) years we've had her...and 2 of those were last week. Although she is the smarter of the two felines, she has yet to figure out that the baby is currently very easy to get away from, and instead just cowers as he tackles her, hoping he'll go away. When he doesn't, she lashes out. ON HIS FACE. TWICE! I love my cats and feel a sense of responsibility for their actions (it was my choice to not declaw them, afterall) but I almost put her little butt on craigslist that very day. Eddie was fully supportive of that idea, and keeps reminding me that to do nothing about this is to possibly sacrifice our son's eyeball and overall well-being. How's that for a guilt trip? So for now my solution is to just keep the two as far apart from each other as you can possibly get. So far we've been injury free for a week...but if you're in the market for a cat, let me know.

No comments: