Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lies. All lies.

So, of course I couldn't be fortunate enough to escape the gut-wrenching virus of doom. Just as things were finally starting to slow down in the diaper department, I got a surprising wake-up call Monday morning, followed by 24 hours of fever and general OMG-I-feel-like-dying-ness. Whoa. That rotavirus is no joke, people. The fever finally broke last night, and although I'm still suffering the...uhm...side effects, I at least am able to eat food again and pick up my child without the stabs of achey body pain. This whole possibility pretty much blindsided me. I had read more than a few times that rotavirus infection in adults is often symptomless or very mild. LIES. So many lies! Maybe it was my whole week of exhaustion leading up to it that caused it to hit me so hard, but yeah...I wouldn't call that mild. Of course, this whole debacle could have been avoided if Julian had just had his rotavirus vaccine. Oh wait...he DID. That's right. On time even, which is kind of important because some of his others haven't been on time due to a reaction he had that caused us to space them out a bit. According to one website, the vaccine is "75% effective in preventing rotavirus infection and 98% effective in preventine severe infection." Hmmm. More lies! I guess J didn't end up in the hospital, so perhaps his case wouldn't be labeled as severe, but the poor child is still having diarrhea 7 days later and has spent the last 2 days with a runny nose and persistant cough that apparently can accompany the GI symptoms of the virus. Again - not exactly what I'd call a mild case. I guess at the end of the day I just want to be sure that putting foreign antigens PURPOSEFULLY into my child's body is actually going to result in some kind of, I dunno...immunity? I'm a little bit peeved.

So..like I mentioned, we're now dealing with a lot of snot and coughing. If it's not one orifice leaking, it's another! We had one night of almost normal sleep, and now he's up again coughing every hour or so. Poor baby. Wait, poor Mommy! I'm still waiting for Eddie to come down with the evil virus...but also very much hoping he doesn't as that wouldn't be a very fitting first father's day gift. It's kind of hard to avoid all the uh...bodily fluids that are floating around this place, but then again he's always had a stronger immune system than I.

Here's some pictures that I've been meaning to post for a while. Julian in happier times before the poop plague hit...


Carefully arranging (ie: slobbering on or throwing) my precious Dr. Pepper stash.
Helping with the garage-sale preparation...
...It had been a trying day.
Gerber crunchers - his favorite snack. Closely followed by chunks of cheese. He also 0ccasionally enjoys sharing a banana with me. Just don't expect him to feed it to himself, all you'll get is a baby covered in banana goo. Apparently the mushy-ness is just too tempting.
Soon to come - me rambling on about how my baby can't possibly be a month away from turning one and stressing out about birthday invitations and smash cakes and whether or not my child is going to give a hoot whatsoever about a birthday party that I'm spending X amount of precious dollars on. OMG he's going to be ONE, PEOPLE.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Karina Chavez said...

Ajajaja! You're hilarious. & I love the rambling [uh, is that a word? blah]. I hope Julian feels better but I completely understand how tiring that is not just for him but for you as well. Ah! Adorable pictures. Make offer sticker!!! Hilarious.