I was actually waiting to blog until I got some recent photos uploaded, but a topic has arisen, and I feel the need to stew.
There are many things that bother me about pregnancy... I wouldn't by any stretch say that I make a blissful pregnant woman, so it's been a learning process for sure. One of the things that bothers me the most, however is the unsolicited advice one receives in large quantities from the moment sperm meets egg. (Somewhere, in his sleep, Eddie is rolling his eyes...as you see, he already got this lecture). Why is it that people will say things to a pregnant woman that they wouldn't dare say to someone who's, well...not? I get tons of advice every day..and while most of it is appreciated and even consoling at times, some of it just plain annoys me. You'd be amazed how many times I'm told to eat something, because it's "good for the baby", or perhaps even more frequently - the opposite. That I should avoid this or that because it will maim my unborn child in some way. Never mind that I'm still a person in here, who is hungry..and who wants to eat food I like. OR...the fact that I've already taken into consideration (and then some) the affect of my diet on this child. This may come as a shock to some...but I have google, and I know how to use it.
And then there's the weight comments. It's like a bizarre double standard. I say I feel I've gained a lot...they say "no you haven't! Eat up, you're pregnant" so then I tell them just how much I've gained (which I now vow to never do again) and I get this immediate raising of the eyebrows and the response "what does your doctor say about THAT?" Umm...I thought you just told me to eat that third taco...that it was fine and dandy because this is what pregnant women do...? MAKE UP YOUR MIND.
And don't get me started on people who keep telling my husband that he should convince me to work out, that my labor will be easier. It's not that I'm arguing the accuracy of their theory (haha ok, just a little), I just wonder when - if ever - it became acceptable social procedure to tell someone that his wife needs to work out more? Seriously. I would never dream of uttering those words. No matter how good my intentions were.
And then there was the one woman that told me that my backside was expanding.
Thanks. I didn't notice that whatsoever, as you see...I've covered all my mirrors in black cloth.
(SERIOUSLY?!)
Honestly, I've only covered the tip of the iceberg where advice is concerned. I've received enough to write my own book at this point. Which I just might do. Right after I go hop on the elliptical...
So to sum this up - it's like this: I like food - a lot. Next time you see me, you'll probably think I look like I've gained some weight - I have. Don't suggest salads and or tell me how great I'll feel if I add a workout regime to my already hectic life or I just might blog about you next.
Disclaimer: very tired and cranky while typing this...please forgive.
1 comment:
I'm rolling on the floor and I'm so sorry for laughing at your annoyances.
It really did amaze me at how people suddenly feel allowed to stick their nose in your life, never once realizing that it's your baby, your body and your decision. And half those people telling Eddie that you should work out are probably men who don't know what it's like to walk around with 30+ extra pounds all in front.
You keep eating those tacos and cheeseburgers- I'm cheering you on. (Well, I'm in the same predicament and I've been eating cake for breakfast. I figure I should enjoy all of the carbs and sugar while I can before they take it all away!)
Post a Comment