Today I took Julian to the pediatrician due his gas problems, spitting up, and general unhappiness. Turns out the problems are most likely caused by overeating (his, not mine..) He weighed in at 9 lbs 12 oz, which is quite a substantial weight gain. He's basically gaining twice as much weight as they want him to! I had to laugh at the irony of it all...just 2 or so weeks ago I left the doctor's office feeling like I was starving my baby, and and today I left feeling like I was cramming food down his throat! Poor baby. He's been put on a starvation diet effective immediately (ok, not really...but you'd THINK that's what it was based on his current mood!) Basically I was told to cut him off 5 minutes sooner than I'd normally allow him to feed. Yep. He's really gonna like that! So basically I just traded in my gassy, spit-uppy, cranky baby for a starving, spit-uppy, cranky baby. Hooray for me. I didn't intend to sleep for the next month anyhow.
That being said, our little dude is definitely growing and changing - something that became very apparent to me upon visiting our friends and their newborn baby girl on Monday. She was 3 oz heavier than Julian at birth, and yet while holding her she felt light as a feather! Julian looked like a miniature sumo wrestler by comparison. It really brought home the fact that he's not going to be our tiny baby forever, a thought which brings about a mixture of emotions in me. On one hand, I can't wait until he's able to interact with us more - to giggle when we tickle him or to reach up his arms to be held...and on the other hand, I want to preserve every little moment in his life and drag it out so that I can enjoy it thoroughly. Even if all I'm enjoying is a huge lack of sleep :) Ok, so I'm a little ready for THAT part to be done.
Here's our little chunky monkey - just a few days shy of a month old. Where does the time go?? It really does seem like yesterday that we brought him home. Has it really been almost 4 weeks?
(these photos are misleading as they show WAY too much sleeping...)
Well, I wish I had more to report, but life seems to be all about baby these days. Getting out of the house is something I haven't taken on by myself unless absolutely necessary, and I'll admit...cabin fever is setting in. I'm hoping the weather starts cooperating soon so that we can start getting out more as a family for walks and the like. Mommy needs the exercise - and Julian needs to see there is more to this world than television noise and cats :)
No comments:
Post a Comment