Saturday, August 8, 2009

Two weeks....and a day.



I meant to make this post yesterday, but time somehow got away from me. Julian is now officially two weeks old! Amazing how quickly the time goes...and yet it feels like forever ago that he came into our lives..but maybe that's just the lack of sleep playing tricks on my brain.



Things are going fairly well. We had a weight check on Monday and it turned out that Julian had only gained an ounce in a week, so the Pediatrician became a little concerned. She recommended supplementing with a small amount of formula or pumped milk with every feeding and suggested I make an appointment with the lactation consultant. I can honestly say that I left that appointment feeling like crap - and not just because the nurse 'forgot' we were in the exam room and left us waiting for an hour. I'm sure it's just hormones and frustration, but I suddenly felt like someone was slapping my wrists for starving my baby.



On Wednesday we saw the lactation consultant and she made me feel a lot better about things. Turns out he had gained 6 oz since Monday! She also brought to our attention that he is mildly tongue-tied (the tip of the tongue is connected and prevents him from sticking his tongue out completely). She said that might be the reason for some of the difficulties he's having with latching, but then proceeded to show me how to get him to feed more adequately (which I then promptly went home and failed at. Amazing how easy she made it look!). She also put my mind at ease that he is a perfectly healthy little boy and that it is not abnormal to have a delay in re-gaining birth weight.



Thursday we had another weight check at the pediatrician (they didn't forget us this time), and he had gained almost another ounce, so the doctor was happy with that and sent us on our way! So that was a big relief. Hopefully feedings continue to get easier. Sleep is already a rare commodity, but getting up every hour and a half just to spend an hour in pure frustration is wearing on us both. Nonetheless, he's an amazingly tolerant and laid-back baby, which I am more than thankful for!




So there's the update on us! The bathroom is...well...lets just not go there right now. We do have a brand new washer and dryer currently taking up space in our living room though. They create a pretty convenient place to stack all of our crap on :) Eddie promises me that someday (relatively) soon, we will have a bathroom sink again. I pray he's right.




Here's our cutie at 2 weeks old. Can't wait to see what color those eyes turn out to be! Right now they are a deep grayish blue. I kinda wish they'd stay that way :)


Smiling in his sleep... (he even giggles on occasion)


Looking forward to seeing what week 3 brings!

1 comment:

Miriah said...

Do not get discouraged with the feeding! Nursing is a learned behavior, for both mama and baby, and personally I think all lactation consultants are sadistic and miserable. I am sure you are doing a really great job, so don't let them convince you otherwise. As for pediatrician if your's isn't meeting your approval (for various reasons) I highly recommend Dr. Biberstien (he was my pediatrician and is Everett's and will be Beatrice's) He is amazing with kids and very laid back. In case you were wondering--I think I am on the indefinately pregnant program with no end in sight. But hey, my mom isn't here yet so I might as well wait anyway, right?