Sunday, August 30, 2009

Complications

Friday morning I woke up to feed Julian and a short while later began to gush bright red blood. Eddie had already left for work and I was all alone with the baby, so I ended up calling 911 and 30 minutes later was taken to the ER by ambulance with my Mom following with Julian. After continuing to lose blood for another hour I ended up having an emergency D&C to remove what they think was remaining placental tissue left over from Julian's delivery. From what I understand (and it might not be much - I wasn't very conscious during the discussions), the tissue (and/or scar tissue) dislodged and caused fresh bleeding from the large vessels in the uterus. Long explaination short - I lost a lot of blood. The D&C worked, however...and the gushing stopped. I spent about 12 hours in the hospital and discharged that evening. I'll be honest in saying that the whole experience was terrifying, and it made me re-think our reasons for living this far outside of town. My treatment was delayed by an hour due to our location, and that made the situation that much more frightening. Especially when another human being is dependant on you for THEIR survival. Luckily, Julian slept through the whole ordeal.
So, crossing fingers, this should not happen again. Apparently it was rare the first time, even more rare the second time and just plain freakish to consider a third. I pray that will be the case!
In other news, Julian continues to struggle with relux issues. This hasn't made him the happiest of babies and I've been struggling with his current Pediatrician on just how to proceed to treat this. We don't see eye-to-eye to say the least. I'm hoping a discussion this week will get things going in the right direction for him - and us - who are sick of seeing him so uncomfortable.
Some pictures from the last week or so...I can't believe he's going to be six weeks old this Thursday!

hanging with grandma...cousin cuddling...watching some baby einstein!gearing up for a walk...yup, Archie came too!

1 comment:

Miriah said...

I am so sorry. That must have been horrible. Please let me know if there is ANYTHING we can help with. You are in my prayers. What a blessing that Julian slept through the worst of it. It is amazing what they can sleep through. And speaking of growing up fast, he is getting so big and alert!