Friday, October 16, 2009

A Familiar Trip

Exactly 12 weeks (almost to the minute) since that fateful journey to the Labor and Delivery ward, we found ourselves traveling yet again to the hospital. Only this time there was no contractions, just a sick little boy who was having trouble breathing. Yep, Julian celebrated his 12 weeks of life with a trip to the ER!

You know, I've worked with kids for a while now - many of them sick, either chronically or with the everyday illnesses children pass around...but it is absolutely 100% different when it's your own child. I can conclusively say that now! Gone is the level-headedness I figured came with the territory of "nurse" and in it's place - total paranoia, fear, worry and any other emotion you might like to cram in there. Not to mention how hard it is to look into that sweet face and not be able to do a darn thing to help! So I freaked a little. By the time we got the ER he was already acting a bit better (although he did poop all over himself, the carseat, my shirt, and even got some on the admitting nurse in our first 5 minutes there). They tested him for the flu, and RSV (which had been my big worry). He hated the tests of course, but all were negative which made me feel loads better. Turns out it's just a bad cold virus of some sort...Eddie started with the same symptoms yesterday morning, and this morning I'm noticing I'm now feeling a bit stuffy...so I guess little Julian just had a worse time of it.

A bit ironic though...

Here's to hoping for a short recovery for my little Pickle....And no more ER trips. For a long, long while.

1 comment:

Miriah said...

I am SO sorry! I hope that he gets better quickly! If you need anything at all please let me know--it is my turn to help you out! This is just the autumn for being sick--it completely stinks, especially when it's the babies.