Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful

So, I had the greatest post all planned out for the last week or so to commemorate Thanksgiving. I planned on taking one photo a day of something I was thankful for and posting them here to remind me of all the big and small things that play an irreplaceable role in my every day life. Well, then every life stepped in. Instead of typing up this sweet, inspiring post I had planned, I'm currently sitting on the couch next to a near empty box of kleenex feeling more than a little bit sorry for myself. At the start of this week, I was chocked full of thankfulness, but since then things have gone slightly down hill. Tuesday Eddie hurt his back at work. I'll admit I was thinking that he was being just a touch dramatic about the pain, until he passed out this morning and landed face first on the floor. That was pretty frightening. Add to that my son's very first ear infection (and a sudden desire to eat absolutely nothing but goldfish crackers), the second cold in a week for me, and you can see where some of my blissful happy thoughts started to slip away from me. Eddie's now on muscle relaxants, I'm sucking down the codeine cough syrup and Julian is getting the refrigerated pink stuff. Isn't that the start of a great holiday season? It seems like any time we have a block of time off together as a family, one or all of us are sick or rendered useless somehow. All our best laid plans get thrown out the window. It's more than a little frustrating. I had looked forward to this week for a little while. Now I'm so miserable I can't even function, and I have company coming tomorrow afternoon. Have I whined and moaned enough for you? Because I could go on and on, unfortunately... but instead I will attempt to capture the original meaning of this post. They may not be accompanied by pretty pictures, but here are 10 of the things I am thankful for this year.

1. My son. He is the most wonderful thing I never knew I needed in my life, and I am so thankful every day that he is here with us and healthy and (mostly) happy. If I loved him any more, I think I'd pop.

2. My husband. We clash heads more than a few times, but I like to think we make a great team and balance each other the way a husband and wife should. He's my best friend and the person that knows me best - and he still likes me! Most days. He also gives really good backrubs and is a great cook. You can't beat that.

3. My family. Yes, I'm being a cheat and grouping them all together, because I am truly thankful for them...near and far, but I am far too lazy to list them all. They are wacky and wonderful all at the same time and I'm honored to share my past and my future with them. I am especially thankful to those who are an everyday presence in me and my family's life. You know who you are.

4. Dr. Pepper. I'm not allowed many vices these days - I still consider this one of them and look forward to cracking one open every day at lunch. It's pathetic, really. It has helped drag my exhausted rear through many a long, tiring day...and for that I'm thankful.

5. My home. Despite it's obvious shortcomings, it does keep us warm and dry. It is the home where Eddie proposed to me, and the home where I brought my newborn son home for the very first time. As much as I say that I'm ready to move on, I know part of me will be very sad when that day comes.

6. My job - and by job I mean both. I'm a 3/4 time stay at home mom and a 1/4 time nurse. This has worked out beautifully for me, and I am so glad to have the ability to be home most of the time to witness my son's daily life. It's not what I thought I would want when I started this journey, but I can't imagine life any other way.

7. My 3 year old, cheapie Hydraulic jeans. These babies have taken me from pre-pregnancy through 8 months of pregnancy and back again...and for those of you who knew me when I was pregnant - you know that meant a LOT of stretching was going on. They're still my favorite pair of jeans. I'm pretty sure I'd mourn their loss for many moons if something happened to them.

8. Lysol. Even though it lets me down occasionally (excuse me as I cough up a lung here), it was made just for germaphobes like me. I actually take Lysol wipes with me everywhere I go. Don't judge. I'd like to think it has saved us from the plague at least a couple of times.

9. Naps. Mostly I mean baby naps (what am I going to do when he's too old for those?!) but sometimes Mommy naps are in order too. A lot has changed about me since getting married and having a child, but I still loooooove to nap! I take pride in my ability to waste a whole day that way when and if necessary.

10. My camera. Yep, it has to be said...it captures the moments that slip by too fast, and is helping to create a record of my family's life and progression. Not to mention that it is exactly the outlet I needed at exactly the time I needed it. A passion remembered. I look forward to all the many images I will capture with it in the months and years to come.

Extra Credit:
11. Netflix. You have gotten me through a deployment, a pregnancy and are quickly becoming one of the few ways my husband and I can sneak in a little 'us' time each day. Daytime TV? What is that? Thank you for keeping me up to date on all the cool shows I miss.

And thank YOU for reading if you got this far. This year it will definitely be a challenge to stay positive and remember to be grateful for all I have (while attempting to not cough all over the turkey), but I will make the upmost effort. I will say though that it shouldn't take a holiday to remember all the ways you are blessed in this life. It's something I try to remind myself of every day, and since having my son I find that easier and easier to do.

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You guys make such a beautiful family. Hope your Thanksgiving is as awesome as you are. Give Eddie and Julian a big hug from Aunt Cait and me. Love ya, mwah. Pam

Regan said...

How in the world are those jeans still wearable and not stretched out by maternity? They must be magical!

Bartlett family said...

Sorry you are all having a hard time!you are so good to be thinking of
All the positive things in life as well ! Happy turkey day, get well soon