I swear I haven't fallen off the face of the planet. I'm just exhausted. Nothing gets done in my little world when Julian isn't sleeping well. And wouldn't ya know it? He's not sleeping well. Actually, that's probably an understatement of sorts. Between massive teething (he's cutting 6 as we speak - two of which are molars), daylight savings time (who the hell thought that up?!) mixed in with a litle bit of toddler resistance and a need for one person and one person only to be his middle of the night savior (that would be me), I've been cruising through the last 2 weeks in zombie mode. I realize I should be used to this by now. My son has never slept a whole night through in his entire existance, but one or two brief wakeups is a whole world of difference from 5 or 6, especially when a couple of those result in hour-long scream fests. If run-on sentences are any evidence of sleep deprivity, Just count how many are in this post.
So, to make a long story short...instead of doing things like laundry, or dishes, or blogging or I dunno - anything productive, I've been spending Julian's nap times snoozing away on the couch. Pathetic really, but necessary. I do hope that some day I will be able to utilize that time to do something else, but for now I do what I've gotta do.
Regardless of the fact that my child stretches the limits of my patience every night from sun down to sun up, he still continues to light up my days with his adorableness and his rapidly growing sense of humor and curiosity. Even his tantrums make me smile these days (ok, not always - I'm not perfect. There is a limit I can handle!) There's just something endearing about the amount of drama he can summon over the smallest indiscretion against his little toddler being. I can think of a few family members he got THAT from. He also has the ability to leave you doubling over with laughter from a single, well timed "uh oh." That would be his absolute favorite word these days - it covers everything from dropped toys to head bumps and even a baby toot or two. Even more mysterious is the combination of "Uh-oh. Ball. Balloon." which he says at least 17 times day. I'm sure he's trying to tell me something there, but I have yet to decode it. Today he grabbed Eddie's keys off the table, selected one key, walked over to the front door and started poking the door knob with it. Nothing can convince me that this child is anything short of genius.
So, until next time - here's to hoping for some sleep for all of us...and to avoid some of the ick that has already made it into our home in the form of Eddie hacking and spreading his germs all over the place. The absolute last thing we need is Julian sick on top of everything else. Oh how I love this time of year...
No comments:
Post a Comment