So, Christmas happened. Not that I have any photographic evidence to prove that...or I guess I should say that I DO have photographic evidence, but now way to show any of it! My laptop is still in the 'shop' (I use the term loosely) and I'm officially going nutso. Santa (Eddie) left a nice little lens under the tree (ok, so I opened it 3 days early) and I can't even look at or edit any photos I've taken with it. BOO! (The lens is a Pentax 35mm f2.4, btw...and I love it!) To add insult to injury, I have no internet during the day which forces me to do things like dishes and laundry (who am I kidding? That lasted all of 2 days) and subjecting myself to way too much reality tv during nap time (unless of course I'm napping. Tee hee...) and then a giant binge and purge of all things internet the minute Eddie gets home from work with his work laptop in tow. It's really quite pathetic, and I realize that, but I miss the crap out of my laptop. If photoshop, facebook and Dr. Pepper are my only vices then I think I'm doing just fine.
Back to Christmas...Julian surprised almost no one by deciding to be wide awake from 1 to 4am on Christmas morning, so the day started off with a lot of yawning and complaining and general grumbliness, but overall went pretty well. We took the tree down from it's perch on the entertainment center and allowed Santa to put all the gifts under it (some of which were not wrapped becuse Santa is a busy guy!) and wouldn't you know it, my child runs out in the morning and shrieks with joy....about the tree. Oh yes. He couldn't get enough of that tree! He's actually STILL de-ornamenting it daily. So, we had to pretty much force him into opening a few gifts to get things rolling. He totally ignored the lovely shopping cart with the big red bow on it (and continues to do so to this day), and mostly just wanted to play with the miniature cars Grandma bought him. We finally gave up when he had zero interest and he got to open a few more the next day. Most of which were also total duds. I'm a little bummed about it! He does like the mega blok table, and to my surprise he knew exactly what to do with it (but has somewhat digressed to just standing on it and/or driving toy cars around on it.) He also went nuts over the toy food, but unfortunately lacks the motor skills to put all the thousand velcro pieces back together, so most of those have been temporarily banned and/or lost... and anything with wheels (MINUS THE GROCERY CART of course) was a huge hit. The kid loves his broom brooms...what can I say? He is his father's child.
Overall we had a very good time spending the morning together and spending the evening with our family and watching Julian thoroughly enjoy his cousins. It was a good day! Thank you to everyone who contributed to it ;)
Don't assume that this means I won't post a ton of pictures when I finally get my laptop back - be prepared for it!!
I hope everyone's holiday went well and that the New Year brings wonderful and exciting things. 2010 was a good year for us...but it flew by too fast. We watched our little boy go from this...
To this....
I can't believe he's officially on his way to 18 months! It amazes me.
(baby update to follow...bored readers stop here)
We've been working on signs with him for a month or so now, and he's really picking them up fast! So far he has learned to sign milk, more, all done, car, sleep, eat, fish, help and occasionally please. He doesn't do them perfectly, and a couple of them look the same, but you can usually tell what he's trying to convey. He's actually using them to communicate too, which is great! I'm very proud of him. He also has increased his vocabulary to over 20 words now..even picking up a few that we didn't want to (way to go, Daddy!!!) (which is funny because everyone knows I'm the resident potty-mouth around here...) He's growing up more and more each day and amazes me with what he understands and comprehends. He is, however, stubborn as a rock and continues to give us grief in the eating and sleeping department. I think he's possibly a miniature control freak (I have NO idea where he gets this stuff from...) and if it's not done his way or to his liking, he's very quick to let you know. He still is obsessed with anything round - especially bubbles (Oh my - bubble machine was a huge success! but soooo bad on the floors...) and has now combined his obsession with drawing and his obsession with said bubbles by demanding "DWAH BUBBLES" all day long. Luckily we have remedied this by giving him an aquadoodle pen and allowing him to DWAH BUBBLES all over whatever the heck he wants. Bad habits be damned, it makes the kid happy. All other drawing utensils are strictly done at the table, but this one bad habit I allow him for sanity's sake.
And yes...he really does draw bubbles. He makes the cutest little bubbles I've ever seen. I will show evidence of this soon.
In other news, he is cutting his 16th tooth...so we're crossing fingers that those 2 year molars don't make an early appearance. We all need a break at this point...it's been non-stop teething madness since right before his birthday and this has been the biggest hinderence to any eating and sleeping progress that needs to be made. I sincerely hope the new year brings us all a little more rest and comfort.
Baby update over. Be safe out there! I think the hubs and I might just put the baby to bed, load up on spiked hot chocolate and have a Dexter marathon until midnight. Yeehaw! (We're on season 3 and it takes all the resolve I have to not watch them when Eddie is not home. I love Dexter!)


2 comments:
Aw, dwawing bubbles is cute! My 4yo loves drawing me pictures of jellyfish and spongebob. She's actually pretty awesome at the jellyfish.
Isn't it funny that something so simple like the tree (or wrapping paper) gets all the attention while the expensive gifts get ignored? lol
Ha ha, we (well, Santa actually) also gave our almost 18 month old a bubble machine and the mega bloks table. He *loves* to stack the bloks as high as he can reach! Then he knocks them down and starts all over again. Bubble machine - also a huge hit! I also recommend the Summer Bathtime bubble machine if you live in an area where you can't always go outside. We use it for both kids, and in the bath, it just helps soap them up for cleaning! Woot!
Post a Comment