Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolutions

Usually I don't do resolutions. I'm not the type to really stick to them anyhow, but this year there are a few things I'd like to work on. Nonetheless, I'm keeping it simple.

--Less time on the computer.
Yes, being sans laptop has shown me that I'm just a little addicted to the computer. It's been my quasi replacement for real social interaction (which has eluded me to some degree ever since having Julian and being home with him most of the week), and so I do realize why I'm on it so much, but when your husband AND your child start giving you annoyed looks...it's time to cut back. By no means does this mean I'll kick the habit entirely, but I will hopefully learn to balance my time a little better.

--Flossing more often (and those of you on facebook thought I was kidding..)
I was doing REALLY great for about a year or two there, and now flossing has fallen by the wayside almost as badly as shaving my legs and painting my toenails - which is pretty badly, unfortunately. Gum health is important people! I of all people should know this...so here's to flossing more than once a week.

--Patience - more of it.
I've never been all that chocked full of patience, and it has remained a daily struggle for me. A strong minded toddler who challenges me hourly some days is almost enough to cause actual steam to come out of my ears. I don't want to be that parent...the one that blows up over things that are really and truly insignificant. I need to practice reminding myself that he will eat when he is hungry, sleep when he is tired, and eventually outgrow the need to throw things at me when frustrated. Toddlerhood (heck, parenthood) is totally new to me...and I'm learning as I go.  Unfortunately my lack of patience doesn't end there - as I need to learn to have more of it when dealing with adults too. This will be one of my biggest challenges.

--Sleep - more of that too.
I can't help the fact that my child is not a natural sleeper (well, I can possible to some extent, but that is debatable at the moment), but I can control when I go to bed. I need to do it earlier. I realize that 1am is sometimes the only time I have to myself, and it's hard to give that up, but lack of sleep is pretty much the main culprit in all the issues listed above. I do not do well when exhausted and it effects everyone around me. Now if only Julian would get the memo!!

So that pretty much covers the resolutions: now for a couple of goals I have for 2011:
- Get organized
- Get this house done (ok, so with a little help obviously)
-Think about maybe perhaps considering building a photography portfolio (maybe)
-Get over my fear of having another baby (no, not planning on going there in 2011 necessarily, but it's not healthy to have baby nightmares every night.)
-Buy a new house with a yard for Julian to actually play in (ok, so this is a lofty one...but we've been serious debating it.)
-Call people when I say I will (maybe. lol)

Happy New Year!! Sorry if this is rambling and full of grammatical errors. I stayed up wayyyy past my bedtime...of course!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I've never had a New Years Resolution. I know I would never stick to it, if it's something I want to change I'll do it right then and there, not wait until Jan 1st. If I'm putting it off until the new year it's probably not going to get done ever. Good luck though, I hope you stick to yours! :)