Inspired by this post ...
Learning to leave my camera at home has been an ongoing battle for me. I'm constantly torn between the need to record moments and the need to live them. I find every day moments beautiful, and I love capturing those...but do I always want to be the one with the camera to my face, not really enjoying the moment itself - only enjoying the beautiful images afterwards?
It is something that I'm working on.
A week ago I took my son into town with me to run some errands. I also needed to scout out a location for an upcoming shoot and I purposefully left my camera at home. He and I ate chicken nuggets and enjoyed a warm morning/afternoon at a new playground he had never been to. We played and laughed - it was fantastic. Now, the one thing I DID bring - and the thing I should remember to bring along more often is my video camera. We have this lovely gadget called the Flip Mino and it's so small you can literally put it in your pocket. I realized the other day that I have maybe one or two short clips of Julian on video since his birthday....and that's not enough. Pictures are wonderful and taking them will always be a huge part of my life, but you can't look back on them and remember the cute way your child mispronounces 'excuse me' or how he loves to sing as he plays or his amazing little giggle.
So there is one of my (very early) New Year's Resolutions - learn to leave the camera at home, but bring the video recorder. Heck, I don't care if people thing I'm strange as I'm recording my kid's reaction to the fish tanks at Wally World....at least it's less bulky than my DSLR, right?
(that being said - I've got some adorable halloween pictures coming!)
No comments:
Post a Comment