Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Random Tidbits

I'm not a Winter person (not even slightly), but I really am looking forward to January. I've already got my days planned out, and I'm pretty stoked about my sudden lack of anything pressing to do during the day. I intend to rent every season of Glee and watch them while Julian naps. I want to crochet a crazy amount of stuff (might have to start that earlier than later - I have Christmas gifts to make.)  I want to learn to knit, or at least find out if I CAN learn to knit. I want to read again. I want to play pretend with my son. I want to organize an office space, get my business p's and q's in order, start the year off right being ORGANIZED (yes, my biggest challenge!) I want to take pictures of Julian in the snow....go sledding, hang out with friends a little even. It's crazy that I'm this excited about a time of year that I usually hate, but the way the last three months have gone, I just want some zero time...and a whole month or two of it sounds absolutely perfect.

As for December, we decided to put our big kid pants on and actually put the REAL tree up this year. I'm pretty sure we didn't put any tree at all the first year Julian was here, and last year we opted for a 2 ft version on top of our entertainment center (he was in a pretty big mouthing stage, and also a 'clobber everything in sight' stage) So this year we decided to put up the big tree and hope for the best. We only put plastic/wood/handmade ornaments on, and didn't put anything that would be dangerous if Julian got a hold of it. Sure enough, the kid has been meticulously stripping our tree bare since Saturday. No amount of Santa threats or threats in general have stopped this from happening, so in turn...our pretty little Christmas tree is becoming increasingly bare from about 3 feet down. It's to be expected I suppose...and has been a bit of an 'a ha' moment for me - the person that used to spend hours getting the tree 'just right'.  Like many things since parenthood, I'm learning to let it go and go with the flow!

I love that Julian understands enough this year to MAYBE get excited. He has been schooled on Santa, and thanks to hefty portions of Veggie Tales (inevitable), he has even been schooled on baby Jesus. He says that Santa is going to bring him a 'toy kitchen' (after admiring a BRIGHT PINK PRINCESS version at Target the other day.) And I'm thinking it might be great fun this year when he actually SEES Santa....if we ever make it down there! He loves the lights, he hums the songs....it has been a fun season already, and I have to admit that I've been more excited this year than most years to shop and pick out gifts. Eddie and I have opted to not exchange big gifts this year, which lifts A TON of the pressure (it's so hard to shop for a man you've lived with for almost 10 years!) and instead we have picked out a couple of items we will get ourselves...mainly a new rug. That means that Julian will get most of our attention gift-wise, and he needs it badly as most of his toys in his playroom were purchased secondhand when he was just a baby. They are baby toys, and he is outgrowing them quickly! He is also outgrowing his little play space, so it needs some updating. I have been fortunate enough to save back a good chunk of my photography sales and can't wait for him to walk into a newly-outfitted play room on Christmas morning! It's going to be fun times :)

Aside from all that, we are doing pretty well around here. I'm finishing up a lot of last minute sessions and orders, and looking forward to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Julian amazes us every day with some hilarious phrase or reasoning. He is quite the little deal-wrangler these days. If you offer him a cookie, he'll say "how 'bout two?" he sings, he dances and his imagination is truly taking off. It's so fun to witness. Since he IS two, yes, there are plenty of tantrums to be had and little meltdowns occur all day long (usually revolving around eating or sleeping - the two things he has struggled with since birth), but he also has an amazingly sweet side, coming up to me multiple times a day just to hug my leg and say "I lub you, momma."  Time is passing so fast...I try so hard to remember and capture all the funny or sweet things he says or does, but I'll admit that I'm failing more than a little. I can't wait to have more one-on-one time with him very soon.

To come: pictures of CRAFTS and TREE and all sorts of lovelies....get excited! But not too excited, because it could be a week before I ever get around to it ;)

No comments: