Friday, July 23, 2010

365

365 days ago today the most amazing thing happened. I became a Mom. It wasn't planned, but it was anticipated, and it's been the best thing that's ever happened to me.



One year ago this morning, I had no idea that this wonderful thing was about to happen to me...I was probably sleeping in. Snuggled into the bed, or waking up every 30 minutes to pee. Excited that it was finally my first day of maternity leave and that I had 10 wonderful days until my due date. I was more than ready to kick up my swollen, tired feet for a bit.



One year ago this afternoon, I was at the doctor's office, lying on my side on an exam table eating ice chips and listening for baby kicks on the doppler. I was watching mild contractions come and go on the monitor, not even feeling them, worried about why my little Pickle wasn't his usual, thrashing self. Little did I know, he was just saving up his energy.


One year ago this evening, I was on my way home from Wal-Mart. Exhausted and sore and wanting nothing more than to crash on the couch. Instead my water broke, and I've never been more terrified in my life. 15 minutes after coming home, I was headed out again with Eddie in tow. This time with hospital bag and tiny, newborn baby clothes.



One year ago tonight, I held him for the first time. I looked into his little face and it seemed so familiar. Every bit of him so tiny, and yet surprisingly large!Cuddled up on the hospital bed, the three of us, counting fingers and toes. Despite massive exhaustion, I couldn't sleep at all that night. The adrenaline and excitement were just too much.



365 days, come and gone. This amazes me.



365 bedtimes kisses.

365 mornings waking up to that sweet face.

365 bathtimes (give or take a few).

365 days of tickling baby belly, toes.

365 nights spent watching him breathe.

365 days of growing, learning, changing.

365 days of grunts, smiles, coos, cries, giggles and eventually even a few words.

365 days filled with diapers, wardrobe changes, toys, music, messes, love.

365 days of being a party of three.

365 days...and I love him more with each one that passes.



Happy Birthday to my little baby, who's maybe not so little anymore, but always my baby nonetheless. Mommy and Daddy love you so much!





And (of course) a picture/video compilation to celebrate those 365 beautiful days. (I apologize in advance for the sappiness, but it just couldn't happen any other way.)

4 comments:

Liza Trumbower said...

Happy birthday Julian! Love the video! I don't think it's sappy at all, I think it is sweet. And even if it were, who cares, you have every right to be a little sappy, you're baby boy turned one today (well, actually yesterday). Hope he had a great birthday!!

Cristen said...

Thank you! It actually IS today, I posted that at midnight, last night...but apparently blogger is on a different schedule!

Four Lease Ranch said...

Sniff sniff. I just had to turn off the video about half way through because I was tearing up here at work. It reminds me of my daughter who will turn 1 in a week. Beautifully done.

Karina Chavez said...

What a beautiful post!!! <3