Tuesday, July 13, 2010

July 4th, 2010

The fourth of July weekend can pretty much be summed up by the following photo....


(Yes, Yes. Excuse my late-ness...I'm playing catch up)

We had every intention of a weekend full of family fun, but got a weekend full of depressing rain instead. It was literally so bad that you could have made a lap pool out of our driveway. Thankfully, there were a couple of moments where the downpour paused long enough to get out of the house for a bit. Moment #1 pictured above. Julian, Eddie and I packed up and headed over to a small neighboring town for all of an hour. Yep. That's all we got. Between a cranky, tired baby and a nasty storm coming...we took what we could get! Julian wasn't too impressed by the classic cars and tractors, but he did get his first taste of funnel cake. He LIKED...and that's a pretty big deal. He doesn't like much these days. Perhaps I just need to fry everything in grease and sprinkle powdered sugar on it.


The next day (Sunday, the 4th) was sadly spent grocery shopping (in the rain. Did I mention the rain?) On the way home, however, the sky cleared and the rain stopped. We immediately made a beeline to the nearest fireworks tent and purchased the tamest (ie: lame, quiet, boring) fireworks we could grab in under 5 minutes or less. We headed over to Grandma's house (we were headed there anyhow on our way home) and preceeded to give J his first taste of explosives. Much like the cars and tractors - he was none too impressed.


(..Hmmm. Was that a rain drop?)


(...Hey Daddy, you're on fire there.)

Unlike the cars and tractors...it made him cry, and not just a little bit. I would post the accompanying video, but I'm far too lazy for that :) Lets just say it was a lot of drama for one measly (tame. SO TAME) little firework...but what did I expect? At least we made the first 4th memorable one way or another. I'm absolutely certain his XY chromosomes will enable him to get over his fear of explosives in no time flat.

(...Grandma...do you see what they doooo to meeee?!?)


Oh don't worry...Eddie and I had a good time blowing off the rest of the fireworks after the baby went to bed. The neighbor kids had better ones than us. It made me feel old, and yet you just never get tired of sparklers. Even if they don't make them like the used to.




Hope your 4th was memorable...and dry!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: