Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Inspiration

I've been searching the old familiars for inspiration as of late (on a subject that may be apparent later this Spring), and in doing so I found myself again in awe of the lyrical beauty of one of my absolutely favorite Beatles songs. Nobody writes like this anymore...


Across the Universe

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup,
They slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind,
Possessing and caressing me.


Jai guru de va om


Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.
Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.


Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on across the universe
Thoughts meander like a restless wind inside a letter box
They tumble blindly as they make their way across the universe

Jai guru de va om


Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.
Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.


Sounds of laughter, shades of life are ringing through my opened ears,
Inciting and inviting me
Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns
It calls me on and on across the universe

Jai guru de va om


Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.




And to think...it all started like this:

"I was lying next to my first wife in bed and I was thinking. It started off as a negative song and she must have been going on and on about something. She'd gone to sleep and I kept hearing, 'Words are flowing out like endless streams...' I was a bit irritated and I went downstairs and it turned into a sort of cosmic song rather than an irritated song...it drove me out of bed. I didn't want to write it, but I was slightly irritable and I went downstairs and I couldn't get to sleep until I'd put it on paper."



 -John Lennon
 
 

I suppose everyone has to get their inspiration from somewhere.

(PS, do you know how many versions there are of these lyrics online?? Holy moly...well, these are the ones I hear.)



Check out Paul's poodle hair at 3:28. Tee heee.

No comments: