The last time I went through a deployment, it made me fall in love with my husband all over again. Something about the distance and the hardship really did bring us together instead of pushing us apart....we learned to communicate better (and quicker!) and to trust and appreciate each other more.
This time around a similar thing is happening, only with my son. Not to say I don't love and appreciate my husband, but we actually get LESS opportunities to talk this time around (a much crazier time difference and some unfortunate twists of events that has left him without a computer and very few opportunities to make phone calls) which means that I have nothing but 24/7 Julian time. Now, this sounds cute and fun - but really it's just exhausting. Really really exhausting. I don't have much (if any) downtime during the day, and unfortunately Eddie's absence seems to have kick-started something in Julian...perhaps 'acting out' would describe it? He is much needier of me and my time, and gets frustrated and angry at the drop of a hat. He will throw tantrums for invisible reasons or get mad at the silliest things and take it out on me. So, I'm sure you're wondering when all this 'falling in love' stuff is happening, right? It sounds crazy, but not having a built in back-up parent to default to when you just can't take it anymore makes you learn a HUGE deal of patience...you learn to work through the episodes, haggle and compromise and really soak up those moments when all the toddler craziness clears away for just a moment and your child is sweet and amazing and incredibly loving and blows you off your feet with sweetness.
It has truly been the best of times and the worst of times...I have lost my cool once or twice, but less and less as the days go on. Sure, I wake up to a tantrum and/or screaming 6 out of 7 mornings a week, but it just makes me really appreciate the one morning when I wake up to an adorable toddler rendition of "twinkle twinkle little star." Even on the worst of days, when I feel like I've hit my limit...I put him down for bed and I look forward to the next day when he's awake and he can talk to me and make me laugh and drive me crazy all over again.


1 comment:
LOL, ahhh, the joys of having a toddler. You can love em soo much (even when they're driving you crazy) And that pic of Julian in front of the heart fence is AMAZING!
Post a Comment