Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Backwards

Do you ever feel like you've just climbed a mountain, only to slowly start sliding backward down the slope again? This is my life right now. No sooner had I pubicly exclaimed that my child was sleeping better than he just well...stopped. A little probing around in his mouth and lo and behold - the two year molars seem to be making their way in (all four). This was probably the worst news of the decade for me. My life was finally feeling like 'mine' again...what did I do to deserve this? I'm still struggling with the disappointment that comes from knowing you will be dealing with tantrums and no sleep for the next 3-4 months of your life. It's hard. I'm not going to lie - I feel defeated. Add to that some regression in the eating department (which we have worked SO hard on) and now a mysterious rash to replace the mysterious rash that had finally started to go away (2 dermatologist visits and blood draws later), and I really am finding myself in a bit of a slump. Ok, that's glossing it over - I'm depressed. No longer are my days my own anymore, it's back to trying to nap when he naps (IF he naps) in order to regain some of the sleep lost...which means housework, showering, photo editing and relaxing have no time to take place. There's no telling when he'll sleep, or for how long, and looooong gone are the days of sleeping in until 9. The last three mornings he has woken well before 7, which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that he didn't go to bed until after 9 and woke up 4 times in between.

So here we are...sliding backwards at a fast rate. The only solace comes in knowing that there are no more teeth after this. None. We are done. That fact alone keeps me hanging on for dear life.

2 comments:

diary of a single mommy said...

Did they find out why he was having a rash? Usually the culprit is food allergies. Jake gets all red when he's eaten something with rice in it.

Cristen said...

Well, this most recent one came and went in about 48 hours, thankfully! I think it was just part of the virus he came down with. The first one was diagnosed as a pigmented purpura, which is rare in children (especially infants/toddlers) and there was no guarantee when it would disappear - only that it PROBABLY would disappear (per the dermatologist). Thankfully it's starting to fade and is almost completely gone...so hopefully we're done with it! There's no explanation for that one. They just happen randomly, I guess.