Tonight I decided (for the first time in a long time) to watch TV. I don't do much channel surfing these days, Julian pretty much dominates the program choices during the day, and by evening I'm usually working on other things or too tired to really care much. So tonight when Eddie, in usual Eddie fashion, left the TV set to the Discovery channel as he went to bed, I somehow got sucked into "Amazing Marsupials" or something to that effect. It was all very interesting and informative in the beginning, but about the time we hit the part where the mama kangaroo left her little toddler kangaroo for dead in the desert, well...I had to turn the channel. This brought me to a show about adoption. It was the end of the show apparently, and the teenage mom was saying goodbye to the infant she was putting up for adoption. 0 for 2, and with pathetic little tears in my eyes, I turned the channel again, only to land on an episode of '16 and pregnant' where a brand-new teenage father with a giant chip on his shoulder decides (after not having seen his infant sons - twins - in weeks) to kick his baby mama out of the car, in the rain, and drive off with their two-week old babies in the backseat.
And so here I am, at 11:30pm battling the urge to drag my child out of his crib, smother him with kisses and promise him that I will never EVER leave him for dead in a desert, give him away, or allow his father to kidnap him on a rainy day in a sports car going way too fast for driving conditions.
Ever.
(All while strongly urging him to remain a virgin until at LEAST the age of 30...)
And THIS, my friends, is how motherhood has made me weak.
2 comments:
This post is awesome! You put in to words how I feel every time I channel surf, which is probably why I usually have the tv on but the computer in my lap so I can edit:)
Megan - I am the same way...so usually I only pay half-attention to the TV anyway ;) thank goodness.
Post a Comment